Friday, May 13, 2011

Surf City to Swansboro NC


After spending a night in Southport NC I entered the Cape Fear River. My speed dropped to 1.5 knots and I remembered a fellow cruiser back in Myrtle Beach asking me "what are you going to do with the Cape Fear River?" I didn't have an answer because I didn't know what the issue was but now I know. The ICW follows the river for 6 or 7 miles and it flows at 2+ knots. Those two knots plus a falling tide of about 1.5 knot is subtracted from your SOG (speed over ground). There really was little I could do because the next rising tide wasn't until well into the afternoon and if I waited for that I would be on the ICW after dark (not a good idea). So I just relaxed and let Summer Snow grind it out.

I got to Surf City a little late so checked into a little marina there. The marina manager said that the Nina and Pinta replicas were coming in so I prepared for a photo op. Unfortunately they didn't come in until well after dark. They must be real true replicas because they did not have auxiliary power and had to be pushed to the wall with little boats. No matter, I can take some photos in the morning. Wrong! They left before daybreak and I have not seen them since. :>(

From Surf City I went to Swansboro which is a very nice little town on the ICW. It seems that every city has an "Old Town" section with little shops and resturants for tourists. Swansboro is no exception so I found a great little expresso/bakery shop and relaxed with a brew and a sweet roll. Yum!

Next it is on the Morehead City where I will meet my friends Phil and Kathleen who I met while crossing to the Bahamas.

2 comments:

  1. Did I get an old page or did you change the front page on your site? I'm in Pitsburg on a sales trip driving to
    Scranton, PA tommarow then to Elmira/Corning, New York. Rented a car here and driving east then flying out of Corning on Friday.

    Still sounds like a good road trip for our group sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not changed the front page. Some (updated) browsers may present it differently?

    Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete