Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Morehead City


I was able to call my friends, Phil and Kathleen, and they directed me into the Morehead City transient dock. Unfortunately the current was such that I could not get Summer Snow into a slip. Everything I tried failed and she swung broadside before pointing into the slip. This made for a few exciting moments and after six tries I went to a marina that had a "wall" type dock and waited there until the current went slack. Then I got into the transient slip OK.

While waiting for slack current Phil and I went and had a slice of pizza at a great little local pizza place that Phil wanted me to try. Then we went to a coffee place and enjoyed a wonderful brew. Phil and Kathleen are such gracious hosts you would think I was a long lost relative. Phil seems to know everyone in Morehead City and Beaufort and so we had a great day seeing the towns including the Nina and Pinta which were on display at the Beaufort waterfront.

After seeing much of the towns we went back to Phil and Kathleen's home and they let me do my laundry while they made a fantastic steak and baked potato supper (they wanted to fix a "Midwestern" meal). After supper we went to the Beaufort Music Festival and finally to the Dairy Queen to meet their son Philip and have an ice cream. Phil came down to the dock at daybreak the next day and helped me cast off. What great friends you make on sailing adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment