Sunday, May 8, 2011

Charleston South Carolina


My next stop was Charleston after sailing and motoring all day in a driving rain. It stopped just as I was docking and then started again. It cleared up about 6 PM so I was able to get out and get a few things done. First I changed oil in Summer Snow. Then I filled with fuel and topped up my water supply. Summer Snow's tender is leaking so I will pull it up on the dock, find the leak, and fix it. as you can see in the picture the deed was done and it doesn't leak any more. I have no idea how it got punctured.

This is a great town to take a rest day. Many of the buildings are from the 1700's and the city has done a wonderful job of preserving their heritage. On one street there is a mile of museums and historical buildings including two churches that George Washington attended during his 1791 visit.
There was, of course, the memorials to civil war battles and statues of Confederate heroes in every park. South Carolina was the first state to secede and Charleston was the site of the first battle (Fort Sumter) and thus the first Confederate victory. For a history buff this is a great place to visit!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked Charleston and the Marina shuttle. You probably already have been down to the old market. I found some great pearl rings in the farthest building for about $20.00. There is also a great pub with an upstairs "man cave" with all the sports channels and lazy boys. I can not remember the name but it is the same as the street name and is one of the main streets. It also has good food.
    My boat is in the water so the season begins. I am also a new grandfather, Jennifer had her baby last week. Neal

    ReplyDelete
  2. The marina shuttle worked very nice for me too. The old market was interesting but crowded. I don't have anything to "go with" pearl rings but I'm sure you do ;>)

    I found a nice little restaurant called Barbra Jean's that had great crab cakes and cold beer. I wondered why there were so many crab pots in the ICW and now I know. Crab is king in the local restaurants.

    Congrats on the Grand Baby! Life just gets better and better doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete