Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oriental and Belhaven NC


After leaving Morehead City my next stop was Oriental, NC. Oriental is a sailing destination because it is located on the Neuse River which opens up onto Pamlico Sound. It is not a very big place but has some nice shops and is kind of sail orientated. The sail was not too eventful except for a few barges on Adam's Creek.

After a very nice evening at Oriental I got an early start on Monday morning to my next destination, Belhaven. I was able to sail and motor sail all morning and made great time with the wind on my beam or off the port quarter. Things seemed very good until I got to the Pamlico River. That's when the wind really picked up and the water became rough. I made for Belhaven with the waves on my beam which made Summer Snow very uncomfortable. The wind was howling behind the Belhaven breakwater and I called into the Belhaven Waterway Marina only to be put off for a half hour and then told that they could not accommodate me due to my 5.5 ft draft. It seems that they could have figured that out in less time but whatever! I turned back and called into another rather old looking marina that I had passed up. They were very accommodating and I got right in. After doubling up my dock lines and putting every fender out I decided that I would stay here until the wind backs down. Here is is Tuesday and the wind is still raging. I have a little time cushion so I'll just hang tight for a few days if necessary.

This marina is kind of interesting although not much of it is open. It was a country inn with a long history of catering to political big wigs. It looks like a fancy hotel or plantation house with tennis courts, swimming pool, bar, restaurant, etc. According to one of the locals there is a bar in the attic that was a speakeasy back during Prohibition. The only things open are the gas dock and the restrooms. The owner said we could watch television in the lounge any time we want but the lounge, restaurant, etc are not open for business.

Belhaven is a town of about 4000 so there is a small cafe and bakery about 5 blocks away and a FoodLion store about a mile away so I'm not hurting too bad.

1 comment:

  1. Loged on this morning in scranton and got the front page I was used to seeing but logged on this afterniin in Corning NY and got what i assume is and ealier version of your web site with a line drawing of Summer snow and a picture of her sailing with different color sails. must be a cashed file that I pick up when I do a quick search for sailing summer snow.
    I am here to see the sales people from Laminated concepts that are also sailors. We had to delay meeting one day due to late arivial of The Bell Lumber and pole salesman. I feel for you just waiting, I am tired of waiting and we just got here. I have been here several times before so I have already seen the sites and the nearest casiono is 50 miles away.
    Hope the weather improves.

    John

    ReplyDelete