Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hilton Head Island to Mile Marker 509

Today was kind of rough. I got on the water early and after about an hour entered Port Royal Sound. A sound is a big bay that opens to the ocean and may be deep enough for ships or may not be. Port Royal Sound is not an "Inlet" for ships and there is no large harbor for ships. Sounds can get rough and today Port Royal Sound was rough. The wind was right on my nose and the white caps were really rolling. Summer Snow could only make 3.5 knots into the waves and wind so crossing the sound took forever. I made it without problems but was wet and tired when I got across. The dodger really saved the day! Today was the first day of the trip when I put on long jeans instead of shorts. When I left this morning it was in the 40s and it just made it into the mid 70s all day.

As I got through Port Royal Sound I passed Paris Island, the Marine Corps boot camp. I have included a picture of it here and I think this is a good way to visit Paris Island, from the water and from a distance ;>)

I went through a twist bridge today (Ladies Island Bridge) which is kind of unique. Most of the modern lift bridges are the bascule type (lift from the center) because they open and close fast. This bridge appeared to be very old and it took a long time for it to open and close.

I will anchor tonight at MM 509 which is a very nice bend in the South Edisto River.

3 comments:

  1. We have done several wood bridges out to the mud flats near Hiton Head They build a bridge out to a mud Island then haul tons of rock and dirt out to build up the Island. They usually build 4 o4 5 mantions on the new Island and after they sell them the look for a new spot.
    Hope you rememberded today is Mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't there a twisting Bridge in downtown ST Paul on the River?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the St. Paul bridge, I know there are a lot of twisted Irish there.

    ReplyDelete