Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Small World

The other day, when still in Hope Town, I wanted to spend a few hours at the Wyannie Malone Historical Museum to read about the history of Elbow Cay and Hope Town. The gal that was at the desk noticed that I was from Lake Superior (from my t-shirt)and she said "say, I know someone here in Hope Town that is from Bayfield on Lake Superior." Of course I said "who would that be? That is where I sail most of the time." She said she would call her friend because she was sure her friend would want to talk to me. Her friend came over to the museum and it was Mary Rice who I had not met before but I have been to two of the three restaurants that Mary owns in Bayfield. The restaurants are Egg Toss, Maggies, and Wild Rice. Mary had been coming to Hope Town for many years to avoid the Northern Wisconsin winters.

As luck would have it, a few days later I was having my usual coffee at the Hope Town Coffee House when Mary walked in to get her supply of custom ground coffee. We chatted over coffee about the similarity between Hope Town and Bayfield and about boating in general. She has a restored Nor'Sea blue water sailboat up in the Apostles that I hope I get to see someday.

As the late Professor Joseph Campbell pointed out years ago, "the true purpose of an adventure is to learn about yourself". For me this cruising adventure has taught me that meeting and interacting with interesting people is very necessary and important to me. With that in mind this has been a very successful adventure so far.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of your story about Nick from Hayward saying who cares nobody knows me here, then hearing a voice from the back of the room yell out his name and address. We had a ST Patrick’s day supper last night and Bev was there and I told her about walking down the street in Las Vegas wearing my ALAMCO Albert Lea jacket and having a lady walk up and her family owned a Chinese restaurant in Albert Lea . It really is a small world. Speaking of small World, What is the view on the Japanese problems from people down there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you all had a great St Patrick's Day. I celebrated by going out for supper. Man-O-War Cay is a dry island so there were no big parties going on here.

    I have not heard much about the Japanese earthquake other than concern for how terrible it must be. I think it is a difficult subject for people that live on small low lying islands.

    ReplyDelete