Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Aboard Summer Snow

How can you run out of time when you are living "on the hook"? When I say "on the hook" I mean anchored out or on a mooring ball. It can be done, in fact having time melt away seems to be the rule here on Summer Snow. The reason for this is that my cruising lifestyle is similar in ways to a subsistence type lifestyle. I'm not a fisherman (if I subsisted on fish that I caught I would starve) but I do "hunt and gather" at the little stores that are typical on these cays and that takes time. You might get a potato here and maybe a carrot in another store which you reach by dinghy. And I often prepare my food from scratch such as the corn muffins pictured here. When you bake your own breads and cook everything else by yourself and then clean up after each meal (boiling water each time to wash stuff) you burn up a lot of time.

Taking a shower at home takes a few minutes but on Summer Snow you have to heat water, remove stuff from the head, shower, and then clean, dry, and put everything back in the head and more time is burned up.

I'm not complaining because I relish this lifestyle and I think I will appreciate sharing the work load with Bev and the comforts of home more when I get back to Hayward. When someone says "what do you do all day on that little boat?" I just want to say, follow me around for a day and you'll find out what it takes to live "on the hook". And you know - the rewards may be simple but they are truly spectacular like the full moon the other night rising over Man-O-War and the fresh coffee and corn muffin in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. I’m jealous, not about the boat or where you are but you got to see the largest full moon in years. I got up early two mornings in a row to see the full moon and it was foggy both days. I think it will be 2026 before it happens again. They had another special on the Bermuda triangle on the history channel. They said Charles Lindbergh flew thru the triangle and flew thru a green fog the messed up his instruments. They talked about strong underwater currents that combine with storms and wave movement caused by a dormant underground Volcano in the area that create large rouge waves. Made for interesting TV.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a "green fog" too but it turn out I was waking up with my bottle of Jameson in my face ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked up man-o-war on Google satellite maps it isn't that big is it. Didn't see the Boat that ran aground did they get it floated at high tide. Where were the Dolphins didn’t see any in the picture.

    ReplyDelete