Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dinghy Motor Issues

My new Suzuki dinghy motor started to bog down and die last week. It acted like a fuel problem. I suspected bad fuel because I had just added my spare gallon of gas before the problem hit. I got a tow back to the boat and started to trouble shoot.

I first removed the fuel filter and blew backwards through it and then pulled the plug out of the bottom of the carburetor and saw some water drain out. I had added a gallon from my spare gas tank and I probably had a gallon of fuel left in the big external gas tank so now I have two gallons of bad fuel. Yuk! I replaced the filter and the plug.

I decided to "polish" the fuel by draining it into clean empty water jugs and letting the water settle out to the bottom. Then I pored the fuel through a paper filter leaving the last quarter of fuel + water in the jug.
After polishing the fuel I fired the Suzuki up and ran through the harbor running and feeling good. Then it died again. DARN! A passing dinghy gave me a tow back to Summer Snow.

I took off the cowling again to expose the inner workings of the motor. Hmmmm, should I start dis-assembly? I've never let lack of experience or knowledge stop me before, so why not!

I removed the fuel filter and blew it out again and checked the fuel pump to see that it was pumping OK. Then I took the carburetor off, turned it upside down, and removed the fuel bowl. Wow, these parts are really small! There was some "jelly" like stuff plugging the main jet so I cleaned everything with WD40. Then re-assembled all the parts. Finding no extra parts left over I figured it must be fixed.

I asked my friend Phil to follow me as I went for a test run. Sweet! The little Suzuki hasn't run this sweet for a while so we'll see if this is the end of my dinghy motor problems.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Small motor problem give you something to do in your spare time. As I erecall we spent most of a day getting the small motor going at Mark Anderson,s Sisters cabin a couple of years ago. Glad you were able to get off the sand bar, I wish I could have seen the Dolphins laughing. I understand theya are very intelegent Species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jerry if you got multiple emails from me. I got back from Abaco on Tuesday after spending about 2 weeks with my friend George. We got stuck in Green Turtle Cay because the locals said that it was too windy to get through the Whale. Still we had some great sailing including the return across the Gulf Stream in 18K north winds! What happened to "<10K diminishing in the PM"? I did buy you some genuine Draft which I drank swing on the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The winds have been something lately; you were wise to stay out of Whale Cay Channel. On the other hand being stuck in Green Turtle Cay couldn't have been too bad. Green Turtle Cay is one of the true gems here in Abaco.

    Crossing the stream with 18kn north wind couldn't have been fun but if you were out of Genuine Draft I understand your hurry.

    I hope you enjoyed your time in Abaco and I look forward to exchanging sea stories when I return to MN.

    ReplyDelete