Monday, March 21, 2011

Hard Aground

Two chartered Moorings sailboats came into the harbor. They are identical boats so the one that is tipping is just like the one in the foreground. I should be the last one to yuk it up when a boat goes aground. I've been on the bottom so many times I've thought about putting a wheel on the bottom of my keel. Never the less, it's encouraging to know that it will happen to everyone if they sail enough. In defense of the unfortunate captain I chatted with another Moorings charterer and asked him how deep his keel was and he said, "Mooring told me at first it drew 5.5 ft, then when I picked up the boat they said it was 6.5 ft. But when I asked another employee he said they all are 4.5 ft so I have no idea how deep it is."

It was interesting that after trying a few things like, attempting to kedge themselves off using their anchor (they used their anchor windlass as a winch - bad idea) and they used my method which is standing on the bow and scratching your head, they all (four couples including the crew from boat that is still floating) got in a 10 ft dinghy and went to shore as happy as larks. It's 3 PM and high tide is at 10:45 PM today and what the heck, the tide raises all boats. There is a lot to be said for chartering isn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment