Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sailing to Man-O-War


Today I sailed to Man-O-War Cay. I needed some tide help to get out of Elbow Cay and to get into the Man-O-War harbor. High tide was at 5:45 PM so I waited until about 2:30 to leave Elbow Cay. That probably was a little early but I was anxious to leave. The day was breezy and the boat next to me in Hope Town Marina left at about 2 PM. It was a Moorings boat that drew about the same as Summer Snow. As he exited his slip the wind caught him and he kind of jocked around until he was broadside to the end of the marina and had no place to go. Aaron, the marina manager, raced to the dock and they lined his bow and held the stern clear of the pilings so he could finally get going in the right direction. I was the next to go after that display of inexperience and bad luck. I planned my exit, got all my lines off except the critical mid-ship spring line and backed out without incident.

I exited the harbor with 6 ft of water and set Summer Snow on a beam reach under foresail alone. I didn't want to make too good of time because I needed more tide help to get into Man-O-War harbor. It was a beautiful sail and Summer Snow made 3.4 nts with her 135 jib.

The entrance to Man-O-War harbor is tricky on a good day and although the depth meter read 5 ft once I did not feel it touch bottom. Once inside the harbor I found many boats hanging on moorings. I slowly zigzaged through them until I spotted an empty mooring ball. I circled around so I could approach it from down wind and slipped Summer Snow into neutral with minimal way on. Then I took the boat hook to the bow and snagged the mooring ball. I slipped the loop over the forward cleat and tried to act like I did this every day. It was late in the afternoon and many of the "salts" were sitting in their cockpits watching. I'm sure they thought that that "single-hander" knows what he's doing ;>)

2 comments:

  1. Is this the first time you sailed alone down there? My brother-in-law puts a note on the bulletin board for someone looking for a ride when he goes out on Lake Michigan, Do they do that kind of thing there?
    The guys in the other boats probably thought you were a nice to let your wife stay in the galley and cook supper while you were tying up the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been day sailing several times alone but have not picked up a mooring alone. The trick is to just be calm and pre-plan your moves. Then it's no problem at all. That being said I am sure the next time will involve some panic and swearing ;>)

    There are a number of cruisers that advertise via "word of mouth" that they will captain or crew for boat owners that need a hand going someplace. They aren't doing it just for giggles though, there is a negotiated price involved. Of the "single handers" I have talked with, they all have had boats of 30 ft or less but that may be primarily due to the physical work involved with bigger sails on bigger boats.

    ReplyDelete