Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Trivia Tuesday

Some of the long term sailors at Harbor View put together a trivia contest Tuesday and fun was had by all. The contest trivia included "life long learning" and sailing stuff. It was held at the Harbor View Pool, BarBQ & Gossip area and started at 5 and lasted until about 9 or so. Everyone brought food to share and meat to grill. There was lots of food and deserts so no one went away hungry. We divided into teams of 5 and my team included 3 attorneys, a dentist, and myself. My team didn't win but we did OK finishing 4th in a field of 7.
Jeff, the dentist on my team, came over this morning with a radar problem so I spent the morning and part of the afternoon with him fixing it. The problem was just a broken bolt in his back stay mounting bracket so wasn't too complex but of course the bolt was in a "hidden" location so we had to remove a pin from his back stay so we could drill it out and re-tap the threads. The stay had heavy tension even though we loosened the turn-buckles and jib halyard. We ran the main halyard back to a cleat on the stern and tightened it to further reduce tension. We were finally able to drive the pin out with one of my big punches and then used the punch to realign the holes for re-assembly. Jeff wasn't too confident that we could get it back together but he didn't know the old diesel mechanic had a few tricks left in him ;>)

1 comment:

  1. I'll say it again, if I were stranded in a bad place, I'd want the resourcefulness of husband Alan and/or the same from the son of the resourceful Max Noland. Remembering the icepack made of snow in a pillowcase attached with a bent wire hanger on the overheated underneath of a little Ford Mustang hauling all my stuff over the Rockies.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete