Monday, January 31, 2011

Back At It


Weather here has been beautiful, light winds and lots of sunshine. Temps in the low 80's today. I spent time today reorganizing my "stores" to make storage more efficient. It also gave me a chance to do some cleaning in compartments that have been full since the big shopping trip to Costco back in Florida.


This afternoon I went to the Strawberry Monkey Yacht Club bocce ball tournament which is held in a vacant lot across the road from our marina. The winning team gets to inscribe their names on the "Golden Monkey" trophy. It is very informal and lots of fun but mind you learning did happen too. Never let the kids play because they always win. Check out the next picture (they may have been midget ringers). Needless to say, I managed to drag down my teammate (a former 3 time champ) to an early elimination. The adults gathered at Snappa's for adult beverages and discussed our loss to those little bocce ball pros.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of adult beverages, you left your flask at our house and I was going to get it back to you before you left but didn't get around to it.I hear old water bottles work good in a pinch. Glad you have good weather we have snow to be followed by bitter cold.Hope reaclamation to Marsh Harbor goes well.I'm sure any guilt about leaving this cold weather will soon subside.

    John and Lioba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry,
    Hope that you do not mind, but I have given your address to a friend of mine, George Harris. He is interested in how you stay connected down there. He and I might be in the Bahamas at the end of Feb.,but it is hanging pretty loose. He sails out of west Palm and I sailed back to NYC with him so he is a good source for info for your trip back north. nlindeman@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing my blog Neal, I enjoy sharing and hearing from other sailors.

    Staying connected is a challenge down here. I have an "unlocked" phone so I just had to buy a GSM SIM card for BTM (Bahamas State Telephone company). It works as a telephone most of the time. It seems that power and telephone service comes and goes at odd times. There are two wireless Internet companies and they have connections in all harbors and many anchorages. Many bars and cafes have free wifi connections but they are limited value unless you are in those establishments. I have found Skype to be the most reliable for calling home, even more reliable than BTM.

    ReplyDelete