Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Island Time

Some of the cruising guides I have read talk about "island time". They imply that you must be aware of the idea that things may not happen on schedule like they did back in the "States". That the locals don't look at schedules the same as we do. I have not found that to be accurate here in the Abacos. My friend Joseph has been not only on time but often early when I needed to go someplace. Troy, the marina owner, and I were talking about boat maintenance yesterday and he emphasized how important timely maintenance is. On the other hand, the cruisers here may be up at the crack of 8 but you usually don't see any on the dock until after 9 AM and if there is a schedule or plan for the day it must be flexible because people are always asking each other "what day is it?" and 5 o'clock quitting time seems to happen at 3 PM .

I'm OK with this but the other day Bev and I had our own time issue. Her flight left at 8:05 so we figured we should get up at 5:45 AM so we had time for showers and taxi. I asked Joseph to pick us up at Harbor View at 7 so we were covered there. I don't have an alarm clock on Summer Snow but not to worry, I can set an alarm on my "smart phone", right? I set the alarm and we hit the hay. The alarm went off as set and we are both up but real groggy. We stumble around and get ready to walk to the shower and ...hmmm my watch says it's only 1 AM... what's going on ?? I check the only other time appliance, my laptop, and sure enough it's really 1 AM. Darn!! Double Darn!! How could this happen? My Droid X has let me down, this can't be. Well, guess what, the phone syncs the time from a cell tower and the nearest cell tower is in Florida, a couple of hundred miles away. When I booted up the phone it had no reference for time so it just started at midnight. So lesson learned is "smart phones still need smart people."

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jerry,
    I was just talking to Mary Beese and got your address. I just missed a delivery trip to the Bahamas in November. I sailed with this guy twice before. In November 2009 I met him in Charleston and helped him bring his Beneteau 411 down to West Palm most of it on the outside. Again in May 2010 I met him in Charleston and we brought the boat up to NYC which was big kick sailing around the Statue of Liberty. I could not make the trip back to West Palm this Fall, but hope to catch NYC in the Spring. With any luck he might be going across to the Bahamas yet this winter. If you need an extra hand let me know. MJ just had hip surgery 3 weeks ago so I am now staying close to home for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neal,
    I hope MJ's surgery went well, she is such an active person it must be tough for her to be laid up. It seems that that surgery usually goes quite well though and people are happy they did it once they heal up.
    Sounds like you've had some great sailing on the east coast, what does the Beneteau draw? I've talked to a lot of people who say going outside is really the way to go, especially if you draw much over 5 ft.
    We'll be doing NYC in July so who knows, we may see you around. Otherwise, I suppose I have to bring SS back to Florida someday and it may be nice to have someone aboard that actually knows what he's doing ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry,
    Passed your blog information on to a couple of friends of mine that are customers in N,Y, that do some sailing themselves. Frank and Mark Trembley and Matt Smith. Don't know if they will have time to post anything but thought you might like have some questions from somone that knows a little more(or a lot more) about sailing than I do.
    I here Beve got home hope she makes the adjustment to the colder weather alright. A submarine rescue ship was scuttled in the waters off the Cayman Islands to create wild life habitat and as a place for people to dive. Do they do that kind of thing where you are.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my blog, it's fun to read comments and share experiences. That's the whole idea of a blog.
    There are many ship wrecks here for diving in fact the locals made their living on salvage for many years in the Abacos. They also claim the second largest reef in the world so snorkeling and scuba are very popular here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jerry,

    Thanks for writing back. I am bored stiff around here. I have a few small woodworking projects, but otherwise just think about sailing. Sarah bought me 4 sailing books for Xmas so that has been good. Are you at a slip or mooring? I imagine that the day goes by puttering around the boat and exploring. The diving and snorkeling should be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in a slip because I didn't want to leave SS anchored out for the two weeks I will be back in MN. We had a big cold front move through last night so it was blowing 30+ all night. Not much sleep as this marina is pretty open to the Sea of Abaco to the NW. It rained all night with thunder and lightning so I spent my post coffee hour pumping out the dink. The wind is still in the 20's but should drop off as we approach Sunday so it is still pretty bouncy aboard. I have multiple boat projects (bright-work and polishing) but they will have to wait until it calms down a bit. It's 70+ and sunny here so I'll spend most of the day ashore bumming around and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weather is similar in that it is windy here too. Surprised that they did not call off school. It is about 15F, 30MPH, and blowing snow = that should make you feel good. There are certainly other places to live than MN!

    ReplyDelete