Sunday, February 13, 2011

Slip....Ouch!!

To get from Summer Snow's cockpit to the cabin below deck one must use these steps. The picture is looking straight down into the cabin and as you can see there are three steps. On Wednesday after the race I was so hyped up from racing that I went down the steps in a hurry. Bad move! I slipped on the second step and ended up down on the cabin floor.

Now picture in your mind those teenage gymnasts or dancers that bounce around and do the "splits". Then picture a 66 year old sailor doing the "splits". Not a pretty picture I dare say! There is no pill powerful enough, short of a 38 special, to handle the pain. Needless to day, the last few days have been bad to the point that strangers that see me walking stop and ask me if I'm OK. I'm sure they think I didn't make it to the restroom or that I rode a horse to Hope Town.

This is the gap between Summer Snow and the dock at low tide. It seems like we are always at low tide. I hope no one has a video camera on me when I get off the boat because I have to carefully get to the outside of the life lines and then sit on the edge of the dock. Then I scrunch over onto my side and roll over so I can get on my knees. Then I grab the post and pull myself up. The good news is I'm getting better every day and expect to be fully mobile when Bev arrives :>)

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your injury. It sounds like more than your dignity was hurt. Oowww!

    kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. THe pro football players are trained to grab thier head no matter what part of the body hurts.Do they have medical facilities around their? How far would you have to go to get a cast put on? Or in this case a part of your anatomy in a sling?
    You may need this information if you forgot today is valentines day.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a nurse on Elbow Cay (Hope Town) and a medical clinic with two doctors in Marsh Harbor (a ferry ride away) but your medical insurance is not good in the Bahamas so it is all cash and carry. I would guess you can keep your receipts and get reimbursed but you need the money up front. I keep one credit card just for that type of expense rather than keeping a large sum of money on the boat. It's just as well that I'm here for valentines day because I don't feel like going out dancing and probably won't for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MJ empathizes. After both going down the companionway at different times we figured it was safer to walk down backwards. What is your brand of barley pop? I will try to get some to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been drinking Kalik which is pretty good but I dream about a Grain Belt or even a Miller Genuine Draft. They may be hard to find on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn'd help but laugh last night when I saw a peg leg pirate walking bow legged on the deck of his ship, He was a short and stocky guy and he sure looked a lot like the way you described your new way of walking. How is the healing process coming? Does laying out on the beach help with the healing?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel better every day so I hope to be 100% when Bev arrives. Elbow Cay has mile after mile of ocean beaches to walk so that is my therapy. I'm not much for laying out on the beach; I'm always afraid some "save the whale" group will try to push me out to sea ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you see the picture of boat sinking sculpture on Yahoo. Here is story It won't let me copy picture. They have been getting calls to rescue the sinking boat.

    The sculpture bears such a strong resemblance to a real boat for a simple reason: It is one. Berthier cut a yacht in half and then made some serious modifications. The result: When anchored, it looks like a sinking ship. But--and here's the really cool part--it can still glide on the water just like a "regular" boat thanks to an onboard motor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our 8 year old gymnast would probably tell you that you just need more practice - eventually you will do those splits just fine.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I am getting a little slow since I didn't notice that your blog post for racing and the post for falling down the stairs were sanwiched in between the time you were going out to celibrate the boat racing? How long did that party last and did it have anything to do with why you fell down the stairs? Are you all healed up?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't you feeling lucky to have flown out of MN Saturday vs. today--a foot or so of snow and blizzard conditions continuing until tomorrow.

    kay

    ReplyDelete