Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dinghy Motor + Bad Fuel


I determined that the motor issue was a fuel issue. After some preliminary troubleshooting I took the carburetor off the engine and took it apart. It was FULL of junk! It looked like jellied fuel and sand. The only fuel I have purchased lately was in Hope Town Bahamas so I suspect that is where the problem started. I could not get the main fuel jet out and I could not get a needle through the crud in it to clean it out. My thought process was like this, "it doesn't work now so why not experiment". So I made up a container of water and Joy dish washing soap and soaked it for a few hours. Guess what? It softened up the crud and I was able to clean the jet and the rest of the carburetor. Sweet! After drying it and blowing out all the passages I reassembled it. I sucked out all the fuel from the internal fuel tank with my oil changing tool and put in fresh fuel. Then I got a "inline" fuel filter and installed it before the carburetor. Ready to go, right? Not so fast! The fuel filter filled about half way and then stopped. Low fuel pressure is the next issue.

I took the fuel pump apart and found the same issue, lots of crud. I cleaned the fuel pump parts in Joy and reassembled. Now the engine runs and we should be able to get from Summer Snow to shore and (hopefully) back.

4 comments:

  1. Nice power boat people! and I have it in writing. I had the same problem with Jelling on Pontoon MOtor. The thing gets such good gas usage numbers with a four strok as compared to a 2 astroke that the gas gets old and grows hair. you should have someone run it along side you as you are sailing, Or there are additives you can put in the gas to keep it stable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I wish we would have read this before we called the AC guy to fix our AC, we could have soaked the offending part with dish detergent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use stable in the gas but it didn't help this problem. I think the gas was old when I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet Hopetown only get's gas delivered about thrice per year.

    ReplyDelete