Sunday, June 12, 2011

Baltimore - Inner Harbor


I am docked at Baltimore City Docks which is the best location for seeing the sites in Baltimore. Besides being centrally located in the heart of Baltimore it is adjacent to a city park and close to many activities such as the Historical Boat Tours, the water taxi, many restaurants, and my personal favorite - Barns & Noble Books. It is also the cheapest marina in town which really makes it my favorite dock.

There is so much to see and do here that it would be a sin to be bored. A sailboat docked yesterday and the captain said that he and his old Little League team (who took the Baltimore city championship in 1965) meet here for a reunion every year. They were sitting around on the dock all last evening eating and having fun long after I had retired for the night.

Yesterday I walked the waterfront for an hour or two and saw the Pride of Baltimore (pictured here) along with the submarine Torsk, the light ship Chesapeake, the USS Constellation, and the USCGC Taney (last surviving ship for the Pearl Harbor attack).

This morning I went to a farmer's market to get some fresh veggies and stuff. I found some great homemade "Prairie Gold" bread and some turn-overs to have with my morning coffee. Most of the veggies were organic but I figured I could wash them well and get by eating them if I cooked them well. I wanted some apples but they looked a little rough so I got carrots, onions, and squash. Now I can make my favorite rice with sauteed veggies, yum!

I have included two pictures that I took from the back of Summer Snow last night of the Inner Harbor.


5 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like a nice place to be docked for a few days, It would be better if you had your family there with you. What are the water conditions like in the harbor? We hear so much about polution on the east coast? Enjoy that water taxi.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water in any port is most likely rather polluted but Baltimore (pop. 620,961) looks better than many that I have seen. Like all cities the storm sewers dump into the nearest body of water and with a large population there is a lot of debris floating on the water. Baltimore has a couple of "skimmer boats" that continually pick stuff out of the water and they also have several guys tooling around in skiffs with fish nets picking stuff up so it usually looks pretty good. Their waterfront is a major people magnet so it is worth their time to make it nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad timing for baseball in Baltimore, they are on the road for 8 games. It could be fun to watch them at a local sports bar, especially after they have lost a couple of games. Raining and cool here, how is the weather out there? I can't figure why we can't have some 75% days instead of 50% days then 95%% days followed by 50% days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some big weather systems came thru your area last night according to the news reports. Did you get a big light show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a lot of rain off and on so not so bad here. Patrick and I are on the water and heading North under light winds and partly cloudy skies. Next stop, Chesapeake City.

    ReplyDelete