Monday, May 31, 2010

Brightwork

I didn't know what sailors were referring to when they said they were working on their bright-work. Well I now know that they were talking about the exterior wood on their boats. I don't know if the interior wood is called bright-work too but I can tell you that refinishing bright-work is hard work because that's what we did this weekend. Apparently the sun's UV rays will destroy any finish you can put on so every few years you must sand off the old finish and put on new. I am using spar varnish with a satin finish. There are probably better products but I really like the way the wood looks when I use this product.

We cleaned (or I should say, Bev cleaned), we bent on the sails, and we organized the interior to get ready to go sailing. Jessica put the tender together and pumped it up. I am very satisfied with our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment